What you need:
- Seeds (My favorite by far is these).
- Small spade shovel
When to plant:
Beans are tender. Plant just before your average date of the last frost. I plant mine about mid-May. Bush beans all come on at once, so I do one row, wait two weeks, and then plant a second row (unless I am canning--then I do them all at once).
Where to plant:
"They" say beans need full sun. I plant my beans in part shade and they do very well.
How to plant:
- Prep soil.
- Plant seed about 1 inch deep and 2-3 inches apart.
How to care for beans:
- Beans are very easy. Just keep them watered. Too much water can make them grow slowly.
- You also want to keep weeds picked.
How to harvest beans:
- Harvest when the beans are about the right length and size. You don't want to wait until they are too big--then the seeds are huge inside.
- Harvest continually. The plants will continue to flower and produce beans for 2-3 weeks if a bush plant (longer if pole).
- One note--I have found spiders love to hang out in bean plants. So do earwigs. Just be warned. I always wear gloves when I pick these things because I hate to touch those bugs.
That is about it. Pretty simple right?