Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
On Becoming Babywise book two (affiliate link) has a great guide to the five food stages for babies on page 25. I think you will find this very interesting and will help answer a lot of questions I see moms have. Do note, as the book points out, these are not absolute rules for feeding. I know some of my kid did some things differently, but in general, this is quite accurate for most kids.
Stage One: 4-6 months old (if you decide to feed before 6 months)
This is a single grain cereal stage and only single ingredient baby foods. Even if you start solids right at four months and take introducing things on a faster track by doing veggies first followed by fruits, you won’t have introduced all of the basic foods before 6 months anyway.
Stage Two: 6-7 months old
Single ingredient foods. You can mix single ingredients that your baby has been introduced to. For example, if your baby has been introduced to cereal and prunes, you can mix them together for pruney cereal (yum!).
Stage Three: 8-12 months old
Foods become more textured, meaning the foods are not so watered down. Children also eat more at one sitting in this age group than previously.
Stage Four: 12-15 months old
Your now pre-toddler will be eating meals with the family and will also have some baby food added to the meal.
Stage Five: 15 months and up
Your pre-toddler now eats with the family and needs no additional supplementation.
This is a great list for reference. Many times, parents wonder when to start feeding baby what the family is eating and when to stop feeding baby food. This is a great guide. Don’t think you can’t ever give a 16 month old baby food–again, don’t take this list legalistic. Take it as a good guide, then follow baby’s lead from there.
Related Posts/Blog Labels:
- solids (label)
- Babywise II (label)
- Solids: How Much Food Will Baby Eat?:http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-how-much-food-will-baby-eat.html
- Solids: When to Start:http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-when-to-start.html
- Solids: How to Start?:http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-how-to-start.html
- Solids: Introducing “Randomly”: https://www.babywisemom.com/2010/05/solids-introducing-randomly.html
- Solids: Aligning Meals with the Family:http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-aligning-meals-with-family.html