Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
In Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, Tracy Hogg says sleep disruptions are inevitable for all babies. Here are some reasons for the disruptions (starting on page 187).
- Solid foods causing gas or other discomfort.
- Moving. Hogg says a newly moving baby will get a tingling in their arms that disturbs sleep. She also says a newly moving baby can get himself into uncomfortable positions he can’t get out of. See also this post: Nap Disruptions: Rolling, Standing, Crawling, etc: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/nap-disruptions-rolling-standing.html
- Growth Spurt. Baby is hungry and needs more foods. Try adding more calories to the day. See also: Growth Spurts: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/growth-spurts.html and Baby Whisperer: Growth Spurts
- Teething. Teething babies drool, have red, swollen gums, and sometimes a low fever. See also: Tips and Tricks: Teething: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/02/tips-and-tricks-teething.html
- Dirty Diaper. Change the diaper in low light and put them right back to sleep.
Hogg reminds readers that sleep disruptions like these do not last forever. Keep perspective and the big picture in mind. See: It’s All About Perspective : http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/05/its-all-about-perspective.html
- Heather said…
hi jennifer…love the blog. would love your help with a quick issue.we have a 16 week old and ever since we dropped her 10p.m. feeding (gradually moved it back) she has been waking up around 5a.m. i can usually hold her off with a paci for 30 minutes or so, but i would really like her wake time to be 7a.m. because we feed her and put her down around 7p.m. when she wakes at 5a.m. she takes a full feeding and will go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. what can i do to get her to move her waketime to 7a.m.? any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks again for your wonderful help!heather
October 1, 2008 9:20 AM
Heather, I think I would re-introduce the 10 PM feeding. Also, see this post:10-12 Hours of Sleep: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/07/10-12-hours-of-sleep.html
PS–my name is Valerie 🙂
October 1, 2008 3:54 PM