Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
When it comes to parenting, I am all about preventing issues as much as possible. I would rather put time into preventing a problem than spend time problem solving and trying to fix a problem. Today, Emily from The Journey of Parenthood is talking about preventing fears.
Emily has six ideas to help you prevent fears for your children. Her first tip is no night lights. Emily says,
“A very, very common fear children have is being afraid of the dark. This is such a common fear that parents often start off their children with night lights from birth. Growing up I was such a child who feared the dark. Even now if my husband travels I leave a couple lights on so I feel safer.
This is a fear I didn’t want my children to have. It’s not fun feeling fearful. I am also nearsighted and have read that vision issues can come from sleeping with a light on. If I could prevent my children from being fearful of the dark and possibly help their vision too? I was all for it.
Sleeping is a time of rest. We don’t need lights on. Our bodies sleep best if it’s dark and it’s the best way for our mind to recognize that it’s time to sleep. With our children we’ve never allowed night lights. This helps them sleep well from infancy and has truly minimized any fears of the dark.”
I am team no nightlight also. I prefer sleep to happen with no external light. We do add it in for a time if fear of the dark creeps up, but we have always been able to use the nightlight during that time period and then remove it when the child gets over that fear.
Head on over to Emily’s blog to read up on How to Help Prevent Childhood Fears.
- Monday: Valerie from Chronicles of a Babywise Mom – What To Do When Your Child is Scared of the Dark
- Tuesday: Katrina from Mama’s Organized Chaos – How to Ease Your Toddler’s Fears
- Tuesday: Natasha from Let’s Be Brave – 9 Ways to Teach Kids Bravery
- Wednesday: Christine from Christine Keys – 3 Powerful Ways To Conquer Your Toddler’s Irrational Fears
- Wednesday: Carrie from Wiley Adventures – Managing Fears at Bedtime
- Thursday: Kimberly from Team Cartwright – Real vs. Fake Fears: How to Distinguish Between the Two
- Friday: Emily from Journey of Parenthood – How to Help Prevent Childhood Fears