Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
Teaching a child self-control is not easy. It is easy to expect self-control in others, but I only have to think about chocolate to realize how hard self-control can really be. It is a skill, it does have to be learned. It isn’t something you can just say, “Have self-control” and expect it to be so.
Self-control is a crucial skill. It is not something we are born with the ability to do. We have to work at it and it takes a conscious effort, even as an adult. Self-control is actually something I’m personally striving to do better with in my own life. Having the self-control to say “no” to that snack I’m craving. The self-control to put down the phone and stop scrolling. The self-control to set aside the time each day to study God’s Word. So many of our personal goals relate back to the ability to have self-control in a given situation. Why not train our children from an early age to have this important personal skill?
Head on over to The Journey of Parenthood today to read all about how to teach your child self control. I hope you have enjoyed this week learning more about facets of Babywise that are more than “just” sleep related. There is so much to help you through this parenting journey!
This week, the ladies of the BFBN will all be posting on various topics from the -wise series. You will find the schedule below.
- Monday – How to Correct Your Preteen – Valerie – Chronicles of a Babywise Mom
- Monday – How to Solve the “Wise in Their Own Eyes” Problem – Natasha – Let’s Be Brave
- Tuesday – Kimberly – Intentional Parenting: How Our Beliefs and Goals Shape Our Parenting Decisions – Team Cartwright
- Tuesday – 5 Ways to Teach Children Kindness – Caitlin – Rogers Party of 5
- Wednesday – How to Give Instructions to Your Toddler & Achieve Successful Results – Katrina – Mama’s Organized Chaos
- Thursday – Self-Control is a Base Virtue – Cole – Twinning Babywise
- Thursday – Temper Tantrums and the Happy Heart Rug – Carrie – Wiley Adventures
- Friday – How to Teach Your Children Self Control – Emily – The Journey of Parenthood