This stew is simple but when cooked correctly is amazing. It takes a long time for this to cook, so start it right after you eat lunch if you want it for dinner.
- 1 pound stew meat
- Oil or butter
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 a head of cabbage--chopped finely
- Carrots as desired--chopped
- Potatoes as desired--diced (I like to use Red or Yukon Gold)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sprinkle meat with salt (I like to do Kosher salt for this).
- In a large pot for soup (I use this Tramontina Enameled Cast Iron Covered Round Dutch Oven), brown stew meat with oil/butter and the diced onion.
- Add a little of the water. Whisk the water as it boils to help deglaze the pan.
- Add remaining water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Stir every so often.
- Add cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.
- Add pepper to taste. Add more salt if needed, to taste.
- Cover and simmer for at least 2 hours (yes, again). Stir every so often.
Serve with biscuits or rolls.
|Browning the meat|
|Adding cabbage, carrots, and potatoes|