” “I’m going to count to three! One….two….three….four…
“If you don’t come here right now, you’re going to get a spanking!”
“You don’t want to come? Okay, I’m leaving without you… here we go….I’m walking out the door…”
These, among many others, are discipline delay tactics. On the surface, the purpose of these statements is to offer the child a second chance to obey, but in actuality the point is release the parent from the responsibility of disciplining. Discipline isn’t fun for the child or the parent, so they are hoping to avoid it by giving the child more opportunities to obey.”
Ouch! Does that hit close to home? Does that prick your heart as a parent? Sometimes our intentions (wanting to give the child a second chance) are really fulfilling an unintended life lesson that we don’t actually want to teach.
Today Cole is talking about Discipline Delay Tactics and how to achieve first time obedience instead of delays.
The ladies of the Babywise Friendly Blog Network are all blogging on discipline this week. Check them out on these days:
- Monday: Valerie at Chronicles of a Babywise Mom
- Tuesday: Natasha at Let’s Be Brave
- Wednesday: Katrina at Mama’s Organized Chaos
- Thursday: Kimberly at Team Cartwright and Carrie at Wiley Adventures
- Friday: Emily at The Journey of Parenthood and Cole at Twinning Babywise