It is delicious!
Seriously. Looking at this picture literally makes my mouth water. Two key ingredients here are bacon and orange zest. Seriously--try it.
If you haven't had Brussels Sprouts, they are a similar taste and texture as cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 slices smoked bacon
- 1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 can (4 oz) whole water chestnuts in water
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Dice the smoked bacon and fry it for 2-3 minutes until it turns golden brown. I use the pre-cooked bags of bacon you can buy at Sam's Club, so I don't cook it. I just add it in.
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts, trim them if necessary, and cut in half.
- Wash any wax off the orange and grate the rind into the frying pan (this is orange zest) with the bacon and add the butter, mustard, and sprouts.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring, until the sprouts are crisp.
- Meanwhile, drain and roughly chop the water chestnuts, stir them into the spouts, and cook them for 3-4 minutes until the sprouts are golden and the chestnuts are heated through.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste and serve.
Seriously...my mouth is watering.