Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
I forgot to add this to the post last week, and I think it must be added. Here are some concrete ideas for ways to show words of affirmation:
- Put a note in the lunchbox, backpack, pocket, etc.
- Mention specific things you see your child do that you like.
- Ask what your child wants to be when he grows up. Then comment on things about him that will make him a good XYZ.
- Record yourself telling your child how much he means to you.
- At special occasions, tell your child how much he means to you.
- Create a drawing or painting of what you love about your child.
- Display things your child has made or photos of things your child has made. Let your child know why you love it.
- If you aren’t home with your child, call your child randomly in the day just to say I love you.
- Have a special name of affection that is only for your child.
- Tell your child “I love you” consistently.
- Leave notes around the house to tell your child you love him.
- Share things you love about your child with others when your child is present.
- Create an encouragement jar. Drop notes of things you love about your child in it.
- When your child messes up, express in words that you knew of your child’s good intentions first.
As I mentioned in the last post, my husband and son both are words of affirmation people. Here are a few experiences we have had with these things.
At Brayden’s birthday this last week, I had the family go around and say what they love about him. We had all of his grandparents and one great grandparent there, along with his sisters and my husband and me. We all took turns saying what we loved about Brayden. He sat there with a shy little smile. I know he loved every minute of it.
My husband loves it when I leave notes for him around the house or in his things he takes to work. He also loves text messages or emails telling him I love him.
One Valentine’s Day, I made a jar full of reasons I love my husband. I told him he could reach in there and pull a paper out anytime to be reminded that I love him and why.
Do you have any additional ideas or experiences you have with words of affirmation? Please share!