Here are some tips from readers on how they manage exercise time.
- During Naps
- While kids watch a show
- During playtime. Nikki said: "If I didnt manage to crawl out of bed, I will do exercises while I play with her like squats, plank holds and push ups."
- Before kids get up. Nikki said: "I make sure that I get my workouts and shower in before my daughter gets up around 7am. It is really hard getting out of bed so early, but I didnt want to sacrifice any additional time away from her in the week since I work full time. "
- After kids are in bed. Katie said: "I workout after the kids are in bed at night. It's the only time I can be totally consistent. Thankfully my kids still go to bed pretty early! "
- While kids are at activities. Dropping your daughter off at gymnastics for an hour? Why not find a gym close by and go workout for an hour? Or as an alternative, go to a place you can take a nice, long walk.
- YouTube: Sheena said: i use fitness blenders who are on you tube..they r awesome.
- Walks and Bike Rides: Steffi said: "we bike or walk a lot and will join of a sports club soon (when we move to another suburb in the summer) that offers child care while the parents do their different activities. I don't have to the self control to get up early in the morning like you guys..."
Ashley said: "My fitness routine is all over the board. In warmer weather (late spring-early fall) we take almost daily family walks, and no one enjoys that more than the dog But they last 20-30 minutes around our neighborhood, usually before or after dinner. In the winter, I sometimes utilize our treadmill for exercise in the afternoon while my son naps. Being pregnant right now, I know the importance of exercising, but like my body is working triple shifts already without me needing to force it to work more
Katie said: " Hoping for a better system soon!" I primarily run with a jogging stroller. I also workout occsaionally at home. Sometimes while kids are sleeping, but my 4 year old also likes to participate. "
- Involve the Family: Katie said: "We will see how it goes but we have started running as a family (double running stroller with 2 year old and 7 month old) 3x a week as soon as hubby gets off work. Dinner has to be ready to go obviously or we do a quick toddler dinner then make ours after bedtime. Then we will do 5-10 min of push-ups, sit ups, planks, etc before relaxing in the evening. When we make it a family affair I'm much more likely to stick with it"
Alyssa said: "I've also done interval training with my 2 kids in the stroller at a park, but I don't see how that would work effectively with more than 2 kids/a seat for each kid."
- Body and Soul Class: Katrina said: "I take a Body and Soul class one or two mornings a week. We work out for an hour and child care is provided for $1 per class per child. I love having the accountability AND my 2-year old and 9-month old get out of the house and get to interact with other kids! It's a win-win! https://bodyandsoul.org/"
- Find something fun. Do you love to play a sport? Join a team. Do you love to dance? There are many dance classes aimed at fitness for moms. Do you love to hike? Plan hikes with your family. Exercise and movement can be enjoyable.