Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
Best Art Supplies for Kids. Great art supplies children will love and use. Crayons, paint, play doh, and other great ideas.
I don’t consider myself to be artistic. I sew, scrapbook, make jewelry, etc. I can be creative if I do something for a while (I call them marathons), but I when it comes to drawing, painting, etc., I am not artistic. Despite that, my children are artistic! I have some thoughts for art time activities. Click here to visit the visual list and get my top picks
- Fat Crayons: Crayola makes fat crayons that are easy for those little hands to grasp. They are also nice because the child can push hard with the crayon and not break it. Kid’s First Larger Size Washable Crayons, 8 Color/Pack (BIN523280) Category: Crayons
- Fat Paintbrushes: After the fat crayons, I found some fat paint brushes at JoAnn’s.
- Washable Paint: Brayden loves to paint. It about gives me a heart attack every time because I am OCD. He talks and moves his brush around, and while he has never made a mess, I have visions of paint everywhere. At least it is washable! I know, I need to chill out. I try to hide it. Our paint is Crayola brand. Crayola Washable Kid’s Paint (6 count)
- Blank Pad of Paper: We got Brayden an artists pad of white paper. I had looked at them at Michaels, but they were about $10. One day I found one at a dollar store. That is perfect for a young child. I have read it is good to have your child draw/color/paint/etc. on blank paper so he can be creative and not get discouraged by the lack of ability to stay in the lines.
- Coloring Books: I still like coloring books. In the last month, Brayden has started to be able to color in the lines (3.25 years old). I think it is good for him now that he is interested to be able to practice the fine motor skills of staying in lines. Coloring Books
- Foamies: These are foam pieces that are of different shapes. Brayden’s are cars and trucks with street sign shapes. They have a sticky back. Brayden loves to play with these. Tub O’ Foamies Cars/Trucks Sticky Back Shapes & A-B-C-1-2 Foamies & Foam Bucket Noahs Ark
- Magnetic Sketch Board (Magnadoodle): I love these. They are absolutely perfect for my OCD self. I don’t have to worry about anything getting messy when the kids are drawing on the magnadoodle. We also have small travel magnadoodles which are good for car rides and places like church. They keep the kids quiet and they have no chance of writing on something while not supervised (in car) or on something important (at church). Maga Doodle
- Play Doh‘: This is always fun. Play Doh
- Sidewalk Chalk: This is fun for outside. Sidewalk Chalk
There are my ideas. Share the fun art ideas you have for kids!
- Tracy said…
Our parent educator with Parents as Teachers recommended Write Start colored pencils from Crayola. They are fat colored pencils that will work great for my 15 mo. old DS. He always likes to chew on crayons so this will prevent wax in his teeth! :o)
October 23, 2008 7:17 PM
Tracy, Great tip! My daughter is also a crayon chewer. She is getting better, but I will have to look into those.
November 10, 2008 3:41 PM
- Rachel Stella said…
I also love the coloring books where you just use a paint brush with water on it. No mess but water!
November 6, 2008 9:34 PM
Oh yes Rachel! I love those too! Great for OCD me! I have had a hard time finding them, though. Where do you get them? (I might just be blind 😉 ).
November 10, 2008 3:42 PM
- Homestic Affairs said…
We have a big blank floor pad of paper that both the kids love. The one year old and three year old learn to share space and color while safely on the floor!I love your list!
October 23, 2008 11:34 PM
Thanks Homestic Affairs! I do like the blank paper.
November 10, 2008 3:41 PM
Reader Thank Yous:
- Tanya Hebert said…
Thanks for these ideas! My little girl is 2 and I needed some new activities, so this helps!
October 23, 2008 3:59 PM
See these labels for similar posts:
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it 1-5!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!