Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
I love frosting. Looooove. My favorite part of any cake is the frosting, and I would be content only eating frosting and leaving the cake part out. I like all kinds of frosting. Over the years, I have found at birthday parties that not all kids like all kinds of frosting. Cream cheese frosting? Not for everyone. Chocolate? Nope. It is all divine to me, so I could never understand it.
One birthday party, I tried this recipe for Brayden’s cake, and for the first time ever, every child ate the frosting. Since that day, it is the only frosting I make for friend parties and it has consistently been a hit every single time.
Creamy White Frosting
- 1 cup shortening (I use butter-flavored shortening)
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, orange, or almond extract (I only do almond)
- 4.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- Food coloring if desired
- Mix shortening, vanilla, and extract in a medium bowl with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the milk.
- Slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar.
- Add in as much milk as you need to get the consistency you want for spreading.
- Add food coloring as desired for the color you want.
It is that simple!