Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
When my children get home from school, they are often hungry. School takes a lot of mental focus and that can leave your child famished. My children get home only 1.5 hours before dinner time, however, so I am not good with my children coming home and eating away. A snack is great, but I want it to be healthy so if it does impact their dinner appetite, I at least feel good that the snack was healthy. I really want it to be small enough they will still eat dinner. What else? I want it to be easy. I want them to be able to eat it with little effort from me. I am about to be prepping dinner at this point, so I want quick and easy. So what are some good after school snack ideas?
- Smoothie (just be wary of the size of a smoothie. They are great, but a typical smoothie easily has 300 calories in it. While it is healthy, it is a lot of calories to have if you are close to dinner time)
- Fresh Fruit
- Dried fruit
- Vegetable (I am pretty much okay with my children eating vegetables at any point in the day)
- Pickles (this gets its own mention because my kids love pickles. They have a ton of flavor and zero calories, so the child can feel like something was eaten and still be hungry for dinner! This can need to be paired with something else if there are real calories needed by your child to reenergize)
- Small “quesadilla”. We always have some smaller tortillas on hand. I am okay with one of these being filled with cheese or peanut butter for a snack.
- Peanut butter spoon (just scoop up some peanut butter and eat away. Or use it as a dip for apple or celery slices)
- Crackers and cheese
- String cheese
- Energy bites/balls (there are a lot of recipes for this type of thing out there on the internet)
- Hummus (we aren’t actually hummus eaters here, so this idea is one we don’t eat)
- Chocolate-dipped bananas (just freeze, dip in melted chocolate, and freeze again. Use small bites of bananas with a toothpick stuck inside to make it easier)
- Something sweet! Every once in a while, it is fun to have something sweet. Cookies, cupcakes, rice krispie treats…whatever.