Ah the Tween years. The preteens. Most children in this age group can read chapter books easily on their own, and your hope is to really get them hooked on books during this phase. You need good, quality books that are entertaining and keep your child coming back for more, but you also want clean language, pure content, and storylines that won’t keep him up at night.
These are some of our favorite books for this age group. All of these books are books that my preteens have read and loved. Most are books we had to own because they are liked so much. You can find more great suggestions in my 15 Chapter Books for Girls post and my Chapter Books for Boys post. These books are in no particular order. This post contains affiliate links.
- Wonder by R. J. Placio
- Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
- Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
- Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Five Kingdoms by Brandon Mull
- Five Kingdoms by Toby Neighbors
- Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
- The Sorcerer’s Ring by Mogan Rice
- 100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Ranger’s Apprentice by John A. Flanagen
- Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- Spirit Animals by Various Authors
- Survivors by Eric Hunter
- I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis
- Beyonders by Brandon Mull
- The Unicorn’s Secret by Kathleen Duey
- Related Posts
Wonder by R. J. Placio
Kaitlyn declares this book the best book ever written.
Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland
Kaitlyn and McKenna are both completely obsessed with this series right now.
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
If your child handles this book well, have him/her move on to the Lord of The Rings series as he/she gets on the older half of the preteen age.
The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
This is Brayden’s current favorite.
Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
Huge hit in my house, and a huge hit among all fourth graders at our school right now.
Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
A great follow-up for the Percy Jackson fans.
The Giver by Lois Lowry
One of the best books ever written. Save it for an older preteen age range–10-12.
Five Kingdoms by Brandon Mull
Five Kingdoms by Toby Neighbors
I accidentally found this book when searching for the Five Kingdoms above. It has come to be a favorite of Brayden and my husband.
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
A must-have for any book list.