Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
Tracy Hogg, aka the Baby Whisperer, describes five different personality profiles that babies fall into. We have been going through them. “Spirited” is her fourth. A quick overall description:
Spirited Baby: Born knowing what she likes and doesn’t like and makes it well-known. Vocal and aggressive. Screams when she wakes. Doesn’t like dirty diapers. Body language is jerky. Needs swaddling. If she starts to cry without interruption, it leads to more crying until she is in a rage. Grabs toys from other babies when she gets the chance and has the ability.
Now some details. This info is found in The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems on page 59-60.
Eating is similar to angel babies, who are generally good eaters and open to trying something new. Spirited babies can sometimes be impatient nursers if mom’s let-down is slow.
“High energy, feisty, and very active.” These children are willing to jump in to activities and have little impulse control. They can be aggressive with other children and do better playing with others in morning hours.
Hate being swaddled. Resistant to nap and bedtime–they don’t like to miss out on action.
Impatient, opinionated, vocal, and stubborn (sounds like a toddler right?). They can be happy one moment, furious the next, and happy again. They love action but don’t monitor themselves and easily overdo it. Tantrums are hard to stop. Transitions are hard for these children.
“A handful. Always into something. I don’t have the energy to keep up with her. She’s fearless.” (seriously sounds like a typical two year old to me).
Do you have a spirited baby? Any tips for other moms with spirited babies?
Related Posts/Blog Labels:
- Baby Whisperer: Eating Profiles :http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/08/baby-whisperer-eating-profiles.html
- Baby Whisperer: Know Your Baby :http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/07/baby-whisperer-know-your-baby.html
- Baby Whisperer Personality Types: Angel Baby
- Baby Whisperer Personality Types: Textbook Baby
- Baby Whisperer: Wake Up Disposition :http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/09/baby-whisperer-wake-up-disposition.html