Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
This giveaway is a partnership with Nakturnal, with a prize of a gift certificate. All content and opinions are my own.
While a diaper bag essentially serves one main purpose for all of us, it functions differently from family to family. For some, it might more of a purse/diaper bag, and for others, it is more just for baby stuff. In one family, the father might carry around the diaper bag just as often if not more often than the mother, making the style of the diaper bag potentially quite different than for the family where just mom carries it around (some people even get two or three bags so they can go his/hers!). Some people might want space to haul everything, down to the kitchen sink, while others are going for more minimalist and the the bare necessities.
What are the must-haves?
What are the basic musts to have in your diaper bag? You need space for:
- Changing pad
- Extra outfit (you never know when a leak is coming)
- Feeding needs (bottles, formula, nursing cover, nursing pads…what do you need?)
What are the good-to-haves?
Once you have your musts, you might consider these items to help improve the baby experience:
- Burp cloth (for some babies, this might be a must rather than a good)
- Diaper sacks (good to be kind to those coming behind you)
- Diaper rash cream (some babies are more prone to rashes, so you might find this a must)
- Lansinoh or other nursing ointment or cream
What are the maybe-haves?
Not all of these items will be things you find of value, but they are wroth considering.
- Hand sanitizer (there is debate on the effectiveness of this. Hand-washing is best, and I have to wonder if a wet-wipe is preferable to sanitzer)
- Baby toys (for older babies, this moves up in the priority list)
- Ziploc bags (for putting soiled clothes in, but you could use your diaper sacks if you have those)
- Snacks (for you, and for older babies)
- Nail clippers (you never know when that is needed)
- Medicine (ibuprofen, tylenol, gas drops, teething relief…)
- Bulb syringe
- Lotion, shampoo, toiletries
- Mama things (for many, the diaper bag doubles as a purse, so you might have your chap stick, sunglasses, hygiene items, your own medicine, wallet, etc)
- Pacifier (even if your baby doesn’t usually use one, sometimes it is handy when you are away from home)
Needs can fluctuate over time and even circumstance. Your must-haves will be different for a road trip than they would be to the park down the street. If you feel concnered about keeping everything in the bag easily accessible and organized, I love this idea on how to organize your diaper bag.
Now for the fun. Time to enter to win a $50 gift card. Enter below.
- You must enter the giveaway to have an entry.
- Commenting on this post is a mandatory entry.
- You must fulfill the rules of each entry for each entry to count. If I see the entry is not valid (did not meet entry requirements), I will disqualify your entry. I check each winning entry to make sure it was valid.
- Entries will be accepted until 12:00 midnight January 3, 2017.
- The winner will be randomly selected through Rafflecopter.
- The winner will be announced sometime after the winner is chosen. I will email the winner.
- Once the winner is announced, you have one week to respond. Be sure to check back and/or check your email. The only thing worse than not winning is to win but not realize it in time.
- I will not use your email address for any purpose other than contacting you if you are the winner (and FYI, I don’t have access to the email addresses except for the winner’s).