|4 Month old Kaitlyn|
Hogg talks about how your baby is now more aware of her environment and more interactive. She engages with toys and has a better memory. She is a more efficient eater and nurses or finishes a bottle much faster. She can stay up longer than she could as a newborn. These are all things I have noticed (though both Brayden and Kaitlyn became much faster nursers around three months old). These are things that make four months really enjoyable for me.
There are other things Hogg talks about that I think can be contributors to common four month problems parents run into:
- 4 hour Schedule: Your baby might need to move to a four hour schedule and you aren't realizing it. See four hour schedule
- Early Morning Waking: Hogg says around this age many babies will wake around 5 AM. BW also mentions this. Hogg suggests you not go into the room too fast. Baby might settler herself back to sleep if given the chance. See also: Early Morning Feedings Before Waketime: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/early-morning-feedings-before-waketime.html
- Longer Waketime: I listed this above, but if your baby needs a longer waketime and you are not recognizing that, you will have sleep problems. You will also have sleep problems if you see baby needs a longer waketime and add too much. When adding waketime, add very little at a time until you get to optimal. I personally added only 5 minutes at a time with Kaitlyn. That often was literally all she needed. I wouldn't do more than 15 minutes at a time, but would actually stick closer to 10 if you think baby needs more than 5 additional minutes. See optimal waketime for guidance on figuring this out.
- Dropping the Dreamfeed: This isn't listed by Hogg, but I thought I would add it. Your baby might be ready to drop the dreamfeed around this age. Often times, if you keep the dreamfeed around and baby doesn't need it, it can interfere with restful sleep in the night. See: Dropping the "Dream Feed": http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/dropping-dream-feed.html
- 4 month Sleep Problems
- Dropping the "Dream Feed": http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/dropping-dream-feed.html
- Early Morning Feedings Before Waketime: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/early-morning-feedings-before-waketime.html
- 4 month sleep problems (blog label)
- optimal waketime (blog label)
- four hour schedule (blog label)
- baby whisperer (blog label)