Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
This post is in reference to using a spoon when you are first starting solids, somewhere around 4-6 months. Babywise says it takes three days to master using a spoon. Brayden had it mastered the moment it hit his tongue. He was obsessed with food and had studied us eating. Kaitlyn took longer. It took her until she had been eating three times a day for three days before she finally started to improve her spoon eating skills, so that was at least a week and a half of eating from a spoon total. That was just improvement, not mastering. She took some time there.
So once again, as far as a spoon goes, it really depends on the child. I found that how good Kaitlyn was with a spoon greatly depended on how hungry she was. Breakfast was not her cleanest time because I had a lot more milk in the morning so she wasn’t that hungry. At dinner she seemed to be starving and inhaled both the food without problem or mess. As in all things, it will come.
Other Posts on Solids:
- Creating a “Good Eater”: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/02/creating-good-eater.html
- Feeding Your Pre-Toddler: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/02/feeding-your-pre-toddler.html
- Finger Foods: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/finger-foods.html
- Highchair Features: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/highchair-features.html
- Introducing a Sippy Cup: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/non-bw-introducing-sippy-cup.html
- Juice vs. Water: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/juice-vs-water.html
- Making Babyfood : http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/04/making-babyfood.html
- Picky Eaters: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/picky-eaters.html
- Snacks: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/01/snacks.html
- Solids: Aligning Meals with the Family: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-aligning-meals-with-family.html
- Solids: How Much Food Will Baby Eat?: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-how-much-food-will-baby-eat.html
- Solids: How to Start?: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-how-to-start.html
- Solids: What do they eat at each meal?: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-what-do-they-eat-at-each-meal.html
- Solids: What’s the Schedule: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-what-is-schedule.html
- Solids: When to Start: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/solids-when-to-start.html
- Toddlers and Spoons : http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2008/05/toddlers-and-spoons.html