Any links to Amazon are affiliate links.
How did your baby stop night wakings?
- Did you wait until baby stopped on own? If so, what age did baby stop on own? Was it pretty gradual or pretty sudden?
- Did you do some CIO? If so, can you describe the process?
- Did you do weaning of feedings? If so, can you elaborate?
- Did you help baby get back to sleep? If so, how, and for how long did you do this before baby slept on own?
- Did you do wake to sleep as described by the Baby Whisperer? If so, please elaborate.
- OTHER. Please explain.
First, my caveat. I went through the data and compiled it, but I didn’t check and triple check like I would in an ideal world. If there are discrepancies, it is not intentional. All data can be found here: https://www.babywisemom.com/2012/10/poll-discussion-night-wakings.html. It is helpful to read the comments because people give more details than a number can give you.
I have results for 49 babies.
28 of the 49 (57%) did number one–they waited for baby to sleep through the night on his own.
6 of the 49 (12%) did number two–they did some CIO. See the comments for details. In addition, 6 of the 49 (12%) also said they did CIO in addition to something else. Some had babies that started STTN on their own and then later started waking, some did a combination of weaning and CIO, etc. See comments for full details.
0 of the 49 (0%) listed three as the only method they used. This is weaning. 7 of the 49 (14%) said they did weaning in combination with something else.
2 of the 49 (4%) said they did number four–they helped baby in some way get back to sleep. In addtion, 5 of the 49 (10%) said they did number four in conjunction with something else. See post comments as linked above for full details.
1 of the 49 (2%) said they did number five–wake to sleep as described in the baby whisperer.
9 of the 49 (18%) said they did “other.” See comments in original post for details.
5 of the 49 (10%) commented and said the baby is not yet sleeping through the night.